1/2 c. vegetable oil
1/3 c. flour
1 small onion - chopped (1 cup)
1 small green bell pepper - chopped (1 cup)
3 stalks celery - chopped (1 cup)
1-28oz can diced tomatoes
2 c. fresh or frozen green beans
3 carrots - sliced (2 cups)
1 parsnip - diced (1 cup)
1 c. fresh or frozen sliced okra
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Stir together oil and flour in Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot until smooth. Cook over high heat 10 minutes, or until roux turns a dark caramel color, stirring constantly.
- Add onion, bell pepper, and celery, and cook 5 minutes, or until veggies are softened. Stir in all remaining ingredients and add 4 cups of water. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook 40 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
- Serve over rice.
1 box corn muffin mix (I use Jiffy) - prepared for corn pancakes
2 ears fresh corn - kernels scraped from cob
1 orange - zested
2 scallions - whites and greens finely chopped
3 tbsp butter
- Mix corn pancake batter in a large bowl. Heat griddle or cast iron skillet pan over medium-low to medium heat.
- Stir the corn kernels, orange zest, and scallions into batter. Cut up 2 tbsp butter into small bits and fold into the batter. Nestle a pat of butter into a folded paper towel and wipe pan with it. Pile batter into mounds 3 inches wide and cook the cakes until deep golden on each side. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Meanwhile, heat a small pot of water over low heat and bring to a bubble. Remove pan from heat and put the honey jar into the water bath to warm. Arrange the corn cakes on a small serving platter and serve with honey drizzled on top.