Sunday, January 15, 2012

This Is Gonna Take Some Getting Used To

I really like it here in Cali - or SoCal as I've been told to call it. I honestly do. It seems really laid back here for the most part. The people here aren't as friendly as I'm used to back in Texas or even North Carolina, but I kind of got used to that living in Florida. It's not that they aren't friendly, but when I say hello to someone in the store I get completely ignored. In Texas you always say hello (or howdy) back. I mean it's just common courtesy. But on to another point before I bring drama to my newly {re-opening?} of my blog.

Anyways it's nice here. The weather isn't too awful. The scenery is gorgeous.

BUT it's still going to take some getting used to.

I'm used to small town Florida, and before that small town North Carolina. I-5 scares me. People drive so fast here! Like we were doing about 15 mph over and were still getting passed like we were old grandparents.

There's no space between towns either. I noticed that today as we took a drive up a little past Irvine. With the exception of the 18 or so miles of highway that goes past Camp Pendleton, there is literally town after town. You don't have a chance to breathe before you're right back in another city.

It seems like everything here is more expensive as well. I mean I was warned about that, but seeing it in person is a real eye opener. Leave it to us to buy a brand new truck and then get to California and cringe at $3.67 a gallon. Good job us!!

I guess I'm experiencing a bit of culture shock. I have a feeling that after 4 years when we move again I'll be thinking how po-dunk any other state is. There's definitely never a short of things to do around here.

2 comments:

  1. This made me smile. I was the exact same way at first. I remember getting into town late that first night and just feeling like I needed to huddle in the corner. I swore I was going to avoid I-15 the whole 4 years we were going to be here. But it gets better. (slowly) I still can't park Husbands truck in a parking lot, but those freeways are WAY less scary now. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. welcome to cali!! I felt the same, and still do! I've been here for 1.5 years and I still feel this way lol

    ReplyDelete