Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Finally Some Answers, But Not What I Wanted To Hear

So I finally got to see a doctor yesterday here in Florida. I was pretty nervous because of how things were with my doctor back in Cherry Point.

I still haven't had a period since November 2010. No spotting, no cramping...nothing. I've had a ton of trouble losing weight even with weight loss pills. Along with a bunch of other problems, I had begun to feel like a medical mystery. In the end the doctor in Cherry Point told me that it was just stress, which I felt was bullshit honestly. I felt cast aside and I had begun to give up.

Things have been completely different in Florida. I don't stay at home all the time. I have a ton of people out here that I consider great friends. Aiden has a bunch of kids his age to play with. Ethan is loving EOD school. He comes home smiling most every day. We're all just so happy and I didn't want to ruin that with adding the stress of medical problems and everything else, so I waited on going to the doctor right away when we first got here.

Instead, I watched my body and paid attention to what I was feeling. I even started eating meat again to see if it had anything to do with iron levels or things I know nothing about. I wanted to have a good idea of what was going on with myself before I talked to a doctor who knows nothing about me.

I'm so glad that I waited because I went into the hospital on Monday knowing everything that was going on. I knew what all my doctor in Cherry Point had already done, what I was feeling, what worked and what hadn't...I felt informed and in control for once. It was awesome.

My doctor was really awesome too. In fact I'd recommend him to anyone down in Florida going on base. He was super nice and asked me a ton of questions about what had happened before and what was going on now. When he had an idea of what it could be, he consulted with another doctor to make sure he was right. Together they came up with something that fits into every single problem I have been having. And although I really hadn't wanted to hear the confirmation of what I had feared, like I said I was prepared.

The diagnosis: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome or PCOS

As it has been explained to me by the doctor and then researching at home, PCOS is a hormonal disorder that effects 5-10% of women. It is the most common cause of infertility in women. It can lead to bigger problems like type 2 diabetes, heart problems, and stroke.

I'm not going to lie; with as prepared as I thought I was I still didn't want to hear it. I'm still slightly shocked. I'm trying to find more information. I want to learn as much as I can since I'm going to be dealing with this for the rest of my life. I am starting medication called Metformin to try to regulate my periods and I go back in 4-6 weeks to see if it has helped me. If anyone knows any good websites where I can get some help that would be really appreciated or if you know someone who is dealing with this as well I'd really like to talk to someone who knows what I'm going through.

4 comments:

  1. I am happy to hear that you finally got answers but that is a little scary. I hope everything starts getting better for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the Cysterhood :) A PCOS diagnosis is rough in the beginning, but it gets better. The key is to keep researching, and figure out what is best for you. I was diagnosed 4 years ago, and to this day, I still learn new things. We have a fantastic support group and weight loss challenge on Facebook, I have a PCOS blog about treating PCOS naturally(twitchivixen.blogspot.com), PCOSInfo.com is a great website run by a friend of mine that treats her PCOS all naturally - no medications from the doctor, PCOSFoundation.org is a non-profit PCOS awareness organization that has a lot of information... The list goes on and on, but those are the ones I could remember off the top of my head.

    As for the Metformin - that's the medication usually prescribed. Be prepared to stay close to the bathroom for the first few weeks until your body adjusts to it. It usually causes some nasty stomach upset until you get used to it. The biggest changes you'll need to make is to your diet. PCOSers also usually suffer from Insulin Resistance - the insulin release by your pancreas to process sugar in the bloodstream is not processed properly by your muscles and organs, so your pancreas sends out even more insulin. Cutting out simple carbs, like sugars, white breads, pasta and white rice can does wonders because simple carbs increase your blood sugar, therefore increasing your insulin. Exercise is very important too, and this is where I have issues. I hate exercise.

    I don't know where you are in Florida, but if you are anywhere near Ocala, you should find Katie Humphrey. Her website is KatieHumphrey.com, and she runs PCOS support groups out there. I finally met her in person at a PCOS symposium this past weekend, and she's awesome - and such an inspiration.

    Ok, I think this is long enough for now... If you want to chat, feel free to send me an email at courtneylwallace(at)gmail(dot)com, or stop by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was diagnosed 1 month after we got married in 2005. I had started getting really bad acne, gaining weight, and I had some unflattering hair on my face. I had NO idea what to expect, but PCOS was not it.

    PCOS is a very common struggle for many women, YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!! I agree with TwitchVIxen in that Metformin can make you pretty sick, but it does seem to work.

    (((hugs))) I hope you can find some comfort in knowing you're not alone. {coaswblog@hotmail.com - my e-mail if you need to chat}

    ReplyDelete
  4. So it's non-insulin dependent PCOS then? I'm sorry to hear this love. Although I know it seems bleak right now, I know LOTS of women who have had babies with PCOS.

    I have endometriosis, so I understand somewhat where you're coming from. I was told that for mine, of all the cases of female factor infertility endo was the number one cause, so it looks like the research needs to get their stories straight about endo vs. PCOS and the statistics.

    If you need to talk, I'm always here :o)

    ReplyDelete