Thursday, February 3, 2011

Roasted Red Pepper Alfredo

Sometimes there are just days when you have no plan for dinner at all. You honestly don't even care to make anything, but dinner time is sneaking up on you fast. The hungry bellies are growing and the tempers are shortening. The boys are asking over and over again "What's for dinner?" "I'm so very very hungry Mama." And then you just start grabbing things and throwing something together and just hoping it's edible.

No? That's just my house? Well last night was one of those nights. It had been a really crappy day and I just had no energy. If we hadn't had KFC for the very rare chow time together, I would have ordered pizza or Chinese. Sadly I felt guilty about eating out twice in the same day when we are trying to be a healthier vegetarian family, so I grudgingly made my way to the pantry. We had one jar of regular alfredo sauce {which I don't really like on it's own} and a ton of pasta. I totally pounced on it. Something fast and easy.

What ended up coming out of that pan was one of the best alfredos I have ever had. Seriously it was that good. I don't have any pictures because I wasn't expecting it to be anything to write about, but even a picture wouldn't do it justice. This fed Ethan and I with sauce left over. Aiden had a few bites but was full from his habachi leftovers. If you need to feed more people, just double the recipe.

*Tip: I always chop my veggies before cooking to save time.

1 jar       alfredo sauce (I used Classico)
1/2         onion - chopped
3 tsp       minced garlic
2 Tbsp    olive oil
1/2-1 c.   roasted red peppers (from the jar) - drained and chopped
4-5          kalamata olives - chopped
1 shake    cayenne red pepper
sm pinch   crushed rosemary
salt and fresh ground black pepper
pasta (I used angel hair)

- Cook pasta according to box directions.
- While water for the pasta is getting hot, heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet. Saute chopped onion 3-4 minutes until it starts to brown. Add minced garlic and cook about a minute longer. Add alfredo sauce, roasted red peppers, kalamata olives, cayenne pepper, and rosemary. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook sauce on medium low heat until pasta is cooked al dente.
- Pour sauce over pasta and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment