Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Vegetarian Wednesday - My "Famous" Enchiladas

A few of you have asked for my enchilada recipe. I don't really use measurement when I cook, I prefer to cook by taste and sight. My mama is legally blind and that is the way she has always cooked so I just learned from her. I made two pans of enchiladas last night so that I could figure out a rough estimation of the measurements for the spices. This recipe is double of what I normally do so feel free to half it if you need to, or invite some people over. Food's always more fun when there are a bunch of people to share. Also, feel free to play around with them to your tastes, cause that's half the fun of cooking anyway.

Lauren's Famous Enchiladas
4 (10oz) can     medium red enchilada sauce
1 can     cheddar cheese soup
2 cans     refried beans
2 cans     black beans - rinsed and drained
1 can     rotel - drained
4 c     shredded cheddar or "Mexican" blend cheese
1 1/4 tsp    adobo
1 tsp     garlic powder
1 tsp     onion powder
1/2 tsp     cumin
1/4 tsp     chili powder
4-5 squirts    hot sauce {I prefer Tapatio}
sprinkle of cayenne pepper
fresh ground black pepper
pinch of salt
20    flour tortillas

- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a large bowl, mix together both beans, cheese soup, rotel, salt and pepper, adobo, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, hot sauce, a small handful of shredded cheese, and about 1/3 can of enchilada sauce.


- Pour a can of sauce on the bottom of each baking dish you're using, preferably 13x9.

- Fill tortilla with a large spoonful of the bean mixture and a sprinkle of cheese, and roll up. Place in the baking dish seam-side down. If you have left-over filling when all of the tortillas are rolled, spread over the top of the enchiladas.

- Pour the other two cans of enchilada sauce over the top of the enchiladas in each pan and spread to cover them. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top.


- Bake, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.



 
 
**Note: These can easily be made with meat if you don't want to do the vegetarian version. I have made these in the past with ground beef and spiced it really heavily while cooking the meat and the green enchilada sauce, or I used chicken and cooked it with taco seasoning and used the red sauce.

1 comment: